Sunday 19 June 2011

Vogue 7836

Vogue 7836 is finished and Mom is smiling.  Yippeee!

Her wish list for a dress was quite simple: loose fitting, with sleeves and pockets.

The Vogue pattern consisted of three pieces the front, back and sleeves.  The back has a centre back zipper and shoulder darts.  The front has bust darts.  I cut out the pockets free hand and made bias tape using the same fabric of the dress.

I did a few alterations to the pattern.  To give her more ease and create an A-line appearance to the dress I repositioned the front when cutting out the fabric.

I laid out the pattern piece on the fold at the neckline and pivoted the bottom hem away from the fold line about a half inch.  It worked!  It gave Mom the loose fitting ease that she wanted.  I also cut out the back of the dress at the same angle as the front. Otherwise that is the only alternation that I made pre-sewing.

At the first fitting, Mom requested that the neckline take on another shape.  She wanted the front neckline lowered.  She wanted it lowered again at the second fitting.  Tough client!  Kidding, Mom.

I didn't take any width off the back neckline or the shoulder seam line.  I just used a dressmaker curve to reshape the front neckline to Mom's desired measurement.

Mom's favourite feature is the pockets.  They were cut with curved bottom edges and placed on an angle.

Would I use the pattern again?  Absolutely!

I had to talk her into the fabric.  It is a 100% Cotton Sateen stretch.  Well, actually she loved the fabric.  She wasn't so convinced on the colour choice.  But now that it is finished she likes it.  I think she looks good.

1 comment:

  1. The dress looks really awesome and so does your mom! Great job, best wishes :)

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...