Monday 14 May 2012

In Sewing News Today...

Getting Ready for the Final Fitting...

Simplicity 2398 has been quite the project. I'm using this pattern for my niece's graduation party dress.

She picked out a beautiful green coloured special occasion fabric which has been a bit of a challenge.

Once I got out of my sewing natural fabric mode and changed the needle on my sewing machine everything was a go. And everything was going along smoothly until the unthinkable happened.

I found a spot on the fabric.

I know! I freaked before moving onto panic mode. How the heck did this happen?

Spot cleaning with water didn't work. This was serious and demanded a road trip. So it was off to the store in search of Tide to go and a heartbreaking trip to the fabric store to discover that there was no more fabric left. Luckily, the Tide to go worked and I escaped from that close call.

I've been ultra careful with this fabric ever since this near mishap. Tonight, the dress is almost done minus the hem. I'll need to do a final fitting for the hem. I'm just working on the facing and hemming the second strap. Promise, pictures will come soon. But I think I'm about ready to call it a night sew not tonight.  

Big Plan, Sew Little Time...

My plans to enter the Pattern Review The Best Pattern Contest were ambitious and I'm quickly running out of time. Oh, who am I kidding the contest closes on May 15 and I haven't even cut out my fabric.

Oh, and I picked out beautiful colours, I don't have anything like this in my closet. I found this rich green coloured cotton stretch sateen for the skirt and a multi-coloured 100% polyester with a wonderful drape for the top.

The pattern, Vogue 1247, has been in my stash for some time. Of course, I will have to lengthen the skirt significantly if I want to ever wear it to work.

There are so many versions of this Rachel Comey design and all of them have turned out beautifully. It is no wonder that this pattern made it on the Pattern Review list.

Well, even though I am running out of time, this pattern is still on my list of projects. I just won't have it ready for tomorrow's deadline. My bad.

Anyway, that is all in sewing news today.

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, that was a close call. I'm glad the tide pen helped!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...