Sunday 15 July 2012

In Sewing News Today


Remember when I said I want one of Vogue 1247 in every colour?

Well, this is my red version in my favourite fabric to sew, cotton sateen. I even cut out the top in a colourful polyester that has a lovely drape.

It took me awhile to get these pieces cut and I was getting into the sewing process when the unthinkable happened.

Yup, my Janome decided to quit. My machine flat out refused to pull the bobbin thread up. Drats!

Okay, I get it. I've been sewing quite a bit and it is likely time for a tune up.

I guess it didn't help that I sewed over that pin the other day. My Janome was starting to skip stitches in protest of my careless ways.

Sew my Janome is packed up and will be whisked away for some TLC over at Quilt as Desired. They always do an amazing job with my machines. Sadly, they are working at summer hours and won't open until Tuesday.

It looks like my red Rachel Comey skirt and multi-coloured top will have to wait at least a week or sew.

Sew, what is a gal to do while her Janome is waiting to get into the shop for some TLC?

A movie perhaps?

I guess, I could clean the sewing area.

Or send out a few more resumes.

Or maybe... make some Creme Caramel?

Oh yes, I did.

Best Creme Caramel recipe coming up.

Caramel:  3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water.  Place ingredients in a bowl and stir until almost dissolved. Then transfer to a flat bottomed pot. Careful not to splash any on the side. You might like to have a pastry brush and water near by to brush the sides of the pot in case any sugar crystal splashed on the sides of the pot.

Cover and bring to a boil, continue to boil for one minute. Remove cover.  and continue boiling until it starts to colour. You will want to watch this carefully. Once it starts to colour you can swirl the sugar mixture and continue boiling.  You want a nice golden colour, check the temperature, when the caramel reaches a temperature between 310 and 320 degrees F you are set.

Pour into custard cups enough to cover the bottom. You'll want to be careful working quickly. I like to have my custard cup in a the tray for the water bath it will sit in while baking.

Once I have the caramel out of the way and setting, I turn my attention to the custard.  But you can do the custard first if you like. You'll need 3 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/2 cup sugar. Mix these together in a bowl. Take care not to mix too much as you do not want air bubbles in your custard.  Meanwhile, heat 2 1/3 cup of whole milk to a lukewarm temperature. Slowly add it into your egg mixture.

Now you're ready to pour your custard into the cups. Use a sieve, slowly filling to the top. Oh, I should have mentioned that you want to pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees F. You'll want to bake these slowly. Before you pop them in the oven fill up the tray so that the custard cups are covered 1/2 to 3/4 the way up with hot tap water. And take a butter knife and pop any bubbles that might appear on the surface. Cover with foil paper and bake for 45-55 minutes. You will know that they are done when a butter knife inserted in the centre of the custard comes out clean. You can now take them out of the oven and remove them onto a wire rack. I like to use a metal egg flipper spatula to get them out of the tray.

Now here's the hard part. Let them cool.  Wrap the tops with saran wrap and put in the fridge for at least 24 hours. I know, it's torture, it will be worth the wait.

If only I had my sewing machine to take my mind off the Creme Caramels chilling in the refrigerator. Hmmm, where are those movie listings?

Happy Sewing (and Creme Carmel making)!

2 comments:

  1. Naturally! "Can't sew? Make creme caramel." Sounds sooo good. And my machine is overdue for a tune-up as well....

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...