Wednesday 11 July 2012

Simplicity 2372--Preview of the Dressy Version

Now that the tweaked version of Simplicity 2372 received the Mama R seal of approval, I've been slowly working on the next sewing project. I've been mostly busy trying to shake a cough /flu that won't quit. But I digress...

I am working with the most beautiful crepe satin, love the colour. I'm a little bit out of my comfort zone with this fabric. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have walked out of the store with this even though I consider it a beautiful fabric.

Mama R picked it out. How can you say no to your Mom? It's impossible really. Sew, that is why I'm sewing a crepe satin dress.

Here is the dress back with the most beautiful invisible zipper that I have sewn.


It didn't start out as the most beautiful invisible zipper installation.

Actually, it was less than perfect. And at first I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I used basting tape before I laid out the invisible zipper to be stitched. Sew I knew there wasn't any sliding around that created the gap between the fabric edge and the exposed amount of zipper. Nothing was invisible on my first attempt to attach the zipper.

What I didn't realize is that there is a gap in the width of the pin on the zipper foot that fits into the groove on the foot holder.

Holy erika moment!

I slid the snap on invisible presser foot to the right and restitched the invisible zipper in place.

And wouldn't you know it, I achieved a much neater finish.

[insert happy dance here]

I was thrilled. And then a little embarrassed that it took me this long to figure this out. It has almost been a year since I've purchased this invisible zipper foot.

Seriously, I think I need to start wearing my reading glasses when I'm sewing.

Oh well, I'll just have to file this one under goofy sewing moves.

Happy Sewing!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...