Monday 20 August 2012

Talking about Vogue 1312

I thought I should post this photo as to how I achieved the hemline adjustment for the dress I made this weekend.

Over at Pattern Review Dorothy wrote:
I'm just about to make this dress, so I'm very happy to see your review. I'm most interested in how much you shortened it - it looks like four inches?
Yes, exactly! I think we're on the same page. I folded up the lower side, lower back and lower front pattern pieces. I slid the measuring tape to illustrate how the pattern piece was folded up four inches. If I unfold this pattern piece it measures eight inches longer. I only folded it up four inches. Does that make sense?  That was it, I didn't touch the skirt front or skirt back pattern pieces.

I was happy with the length with this adjustment, but whatever works for you. I'm only five-one so this worked for me.

I hope this photo did a better job explaining what I was trying to achieve in words over at Pattern Review. Apologies if I wasn't clear with the review.

Happy Sewing!







3 comments:

  1. Graca,
    I'm currently working on this dress (which I, too, fell in love with the moment I saw), but am having a bit of trouble and thought you might be able to help. I'm trying to attach the upper skirt to the bodice, but the skirt piece is about 3" wider than the bodice, but the pattern says nothing about gathering or easing of fabric. Is that what I should do? (obviously I'm a bit out of practice - I haven't done much sewing in recent years!) I also can't help but wonder about the big half circle that is cut out of the upper skirt pattern pieces - will that make sense as I continue, because in reading ahead in the directions it doesn't seem to and the drawings don't show it.
    Thanks for your help!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, just ignore my previous questions above. I was obviously having some seriously stupid moments! I have figured it all out and am hoping to have finished the dress before the weekend is over (fingers crossed!).

    Saw your photos, and I agree, you do 50 well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I'm glad that you figured it out. I didn't recall having any easing issues and was looking at the pattern again. I totally understand those what-the-heck moments when sewing some projects. I've had more than my fair share.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...