Sunday 19 August 2012

Vogue 1312, (my new favourite dress pattern)


If only I were 5' 7"... 
This is my birthday dress was suppose to be my birthday dress.  By the time my birthday arrived Vogue 1312 was still sitting on my sewing table.  I'm a wee bit behind schedule by two days. But it is all good because I've been invited out for dinner tonight and now I have something to wear.

In this photo I'm trying to shorten the dress because well I'm not as tall as a Vogue model that is getting ready to jump out of the high rise window. Oh Vogue and your silly fashion stylists.

Anyway back to the pattern... I knew I had to shorten the dress but I wasn't all that sure about where to shorten. There are "lengthen or shorten here" tags on two sides of the upper skirt but only one "lengthen or shorten here" tag the lower skirt pieces. Pattern piece don't seem to be matching. I gave up with trying to shorten the the upper skirt portion and only took up the hemline. Guess, I'll see how that works out. My sewing life would be sew much easier if I were a half foot taller.

It all worked out great. I'm happy with the length. The pattern was super easy to put together. I can't stress enough if you want to sew a stress-free invisible zipper invest in basting tape. Greatest invention ever!

Hemline finished with a roll hem.  
I love the width and height of the neckline. What am I going on for, I love everything about this dress. Here are some photos I quickly snapped in the backyard. Maybe, I'll get a photo in the dress tonight.

I made the dress in a linen and rayon blend. I normally avoid rayon but this fabric was on sale dirt cheap and I figured why not. I do like the fabric but I do worry about the wrinkle and shrinkage factor.

I did preshrink it, I just hope there are no surprises in the future.





















My form is drowning in this dress!  Not a size 14 and I didn't pin the back.

Looks like I'm going to have to give it a good pressing before I slip it on.

Happy Sewing!

8 comments:

  1. Nice dress! I'm looking forward to seeing this on a person who doesn't look like their hovering over a toilet. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't help it... I took prttynpnk's comment as a challenge and had to give the "Voguey pose" a whirl.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see it on you! Looks super - can see why it is your fav now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very disapointed at the lack of Voguey posing for this. I love it tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that you've shared your experience with this dress pattern. I immediately fell in love with it when I saw it on the Vogue website. Of course I ordered it and am currently trying to figure out what fabric to use, and in what color. I'm contemplating mixing two different fabrics: one a black crepe type and the other a tiny b&w houndstooth check. Not sure, though, and would love your feedback since you've taken the pattern for a spin. Love, love your version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that black crepe with a tiny Blk/White houndstooth check sounds lovely. Version B on the pattern has a contrasting bodice front and back but it is hard to tell in the photograph on the pattern envelope.

      I'm thinking about a light weight wool for my next version, just because it is a garment that takes quite a bit of fabric.

      The bodice is self-lined. Instead of cutting two in my fabric as stated on the pattern piece I cut one and the other in lining fabric.

      Delete
  5. Love your dress and totally going to get the pattern and try it out. I too would love to be, even just a few inches taller. Would make my sewing life so much easier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought it was a fun pattern to work with. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...