Sunday 25 November 2012

I love my new cutting table!

I was one of the lucky people who received a Friend and Family pass to shop at Ikea before their big grand opening this week. Let me just say, "I love Ikea."

Well, I loved them before but I really love them today. I have a new cutting/sewing table, thanks to Ikea. I finished setting it up this afternoon.

I don't have a fancy-dancy designated sewing room. Over the years, I've made do with a folding table or cutting fabric out on a cardboard mat on the floor. Not exactly the best scenario if you want to maintain a healthy back. And in recent years, I've been really feeling the back strain of cutting in those positions.

Enough about the past, today I'm looking forward to a bright and happy future. I picked out Vika Artur for my table legs. These are the perfect solution to my cutting issues because it allows the option to adjust the height of your table. And I do love the lower shelves where I can store fabric scraps. If I was a real keener I would have picked up some storage boxes. But I was a gal on a budget.

For the table top, I chose Vika Byske. I couldn't be happier with this table top with its nice smooth finish.

Now if I weren't on a budget and lived in a dream home with a large sewing room with lots of natural light, I would have picked up two of these Varde.

There were two Varde set up (back-to-back) in the showroom near the kitchen and dining room tables. They were the perfect height for my ideal cutting surface and the shelves and drawer space would be perfect for fabric and supplies. Aren't they perfect? My dream sewing room is a vision if nothing else.

But wait! Ikea has more for the sewing enthusiast. They have a textile department that I was dying to check out. And yes, I did stray from my budget and fall victim to my fabric addiction.

I picked up this 100% cotton. Oh my goodness, I can't tell you how great it is to have another fabric option in the city. The prints are fun and seriously, how could I resist this print? I'm thinking about making it into a shirt or maybe a dress for one of my friend's little girl. Hmm, I'm going to have to think about this one.  

Did I mention, I love Ikea?


4 comments:

  1. How fabulous that you got a cutting table!! I've been aching to get one from our nearby Ikea, but I've got nowhere to put it. I will have to live vicariously through you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad that I moved across the country just in time for Ikea to open in Winnipeg. :( :( :( I'll just have to go shopping next time I'm home visiting!

    Nice job on the table find. That looks like it'll be great for sewing. And I want to make a bedspread with that fabric, oh my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want you to know that I am totally jealous that you get an Ikea. The closest one to me is 5 hours away. Love your new cutting table, good score.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really please that I have table legs that could be adjusted to various heights. A reader a while back wrote that Wal-Mart sells table lifts but they are not sold in Canada. :( I couldn't even purchase them on-line and I never make it across the border to shop. So I'm really pleased that Ikea came to Winnipeg. My back is pretty happy too.

    ReplyDelete

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...