Saturday 4 June 2016

In Sewing News Today...


I was window shopping for my favourite trend right now. I thought I would try the look on to see if I want to jump in all the way and pick up Simplicity 8124. I still have plans to make OOP Vogue 1038.


But I've been seeing really cute versions of this pattern popping up all over the place. Once I tried on a similar RTW style I came to the conclusion that the fullness of the bodice just didn't sit right with my body shape. It was an interesting voyage into the RTW landscape. I came across this off-the shoulder top.


I like that it has sleeves and cuffs. I wasn't so keen on the nipple blockers, otherwise it is two useless flaps right were one's bust would sit.


On top of being useless, the flaps are not even! It is times like this that I'm so grateful that I can sew my own wardrobe.

In other sewing news, my off-the-shoulder look will have to wait. Mama R has a priority request. Last weekend her beloved brother, my uncle, passed away. He had a long and sad battle with cancer, may he be in peace. A couple of years ago, I worked on a mourning wardrobe for Mama R when we feared the worst was near. And now Mama R has one more request, a jacket.

It is with a heavy heart, love, and prayers that I work on this project. I was able to find some black crepe in my stash that I believe will work. 

The jacket pattern is one that I've already made and is a tried and true pattern, OOP Vogue 8916. It is a project that I can't procrastinate on and hope that I can finish this weekend even though it will require underlining and quite a bit of hand-stitching. Busy weekend ahead.

After I have these two projects done, I hope to go back to a unfinished project that has been quite the challenge, OOP Vogue 1521.


The project is stalled at the sleeves, but I think I found inspiration to tackle the set-in sleeves again. I found Claire B. Shaeffer's Couture Sewing Techniques at the library and there is a section on lowering a sleeve cap. Fingers are crossed this will work.

Well, that is all in sewing news today...

Happy Sewing!  







2 comments:

  1. Very sorry for your family's loss.

    What a shame on that RTW top. Those flaps are blindingly uneven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm sorry for you loss. That's tough. But you're very kind to do the priority sewing for Mama R. I hope it brings her some comfort, and that you get some quiet time while sewing it to think (or not think at all).

    I was very confused by your discussions about a top when the white garment was obviously a skirt. :) Took me a bit to work out what you were talking about!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...