Thursday 1 September 2016

In Sewing News Today...

First off, Happy National Sewing Month! This year's theme is to "sew for the experience of it." I think that might be a sign that I really should get around to trying to sew a winter coat? That would be a new sewing experience.  

{Source}


National Sewing Month is an American celebration, started in 1982, at the request of the American Home Sewing and Craft Association, when then president Ronald Reagan proclaimed the importance of home sewing. You can read about the history here if you're interested. There is not a whole lot of hoop-la up here over National Sewing Month unless you're a sewing geek like me and follow such things.  

It is my favourite time of year, autumn is in the air, the leaves are starting to change colours and the first project was announced this morning for Pattern Review's 2016 Sewing Bee. Shorts or capris. 

{Source}

Never in a million light years would I have guessed the first round would be shorts or capris. Needless to say, I'll be sitting this contest out since the discussion boards seem to say that culottes are a no-go. If only I had this pattern in my stash,  


lost about thirty pounds, didn't have knee scars, and were a little taller, then maybe I would consider making a pair of wool shorts to wear with tights. Since we're moving into autumn here, it is the only way I can justify making shorts now. Actually, I can't justify making shorts. I'll be sitting this one out but looking forward to seeing all the entries. Anyone joining in?  

In other sewing news... I received an e-mail notification that Vogue Patterns released the October / November issue and of course I rushed out to the book store but it isn't in yet. I'm curious about the quilted scuba knit jacket piece. I just finished sewing a techno knit dress and am curious if there are any pointers since I have enough fabric to make a top.  And I found it a challenging fabric to sew. More on that later, for now that's all in sewing news today.

Happy National Sewing Month everyone!  



  



2 comments:

  1. I noticed your comment about sewing scuba knit. There is a fabric site called Emma One Sock. On this site she has quite a few really helpful tutorials written by Katherine Brenne who has a number of patterns in Vogue. Her most recent is on scuba fabric. It is a very good article and I thought you might be interested. Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed your comment about sewing scuba knit. There is a fabric site called Emma One Sock. On this site she has quite a few really helpful tutorials written by Katherine Brenne who has a number of patterns in Vogue. Her most recent is on scuba fabric. It is a very good article and I thought you might be interested. Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...