Tuesday 28 February 2017

February In Review...

Sewing:

Yeah, there wasn't any sewing going on as I recover from a tailbone injury and trying to get my right leg to match in strength with the other one.  I miss sewing terribly. I've tried, there was an attempt to work on the new Marcy Tilton top, Vogue 9244, that ended in frustration early on in the process.

I'll admit to trying to get off the pain meds and feeling cranky while not being able to enjoy a hobby used I love. I have attempted to sewing microwave cozies a few minutes here and there but it ended with the top of my leg/hip hurting. This all just made for a sad month of longing. Tailbone injuries suck.  


Fabric & RTW Fast:

Yeah, [holding head in shame] I didn't do well in these departments. After I quit my job it was recommended that I keep moving, so I hit the mall bored out of my mind and picked up a few items. There were these shoes.  
Swoon. They were so comfortable. Yes, I wrote that in past tense. They were promptly returned when I convinced my unemployed self that I need a job more than a pair of shoes.  At least these shoes got me out of the house and moving two days in a row.  Yeah, I just admitted to quitting my job after the school principal and supervisor pulled me into the office, questioned a doctor's note and suggested that I didn't injury myself nor need modified work duties for two days I work in the JK classroom.  What added insult to injury was that the fall happened at work on a newly waxed floor in front of witnesses! I felt humiliated, insulted and stupid for popping medications to get through my work day. Even though I miss my job and the wonderful teachers that I worked with, quitting was the best thing I did because it meant that I could attend medical appointments during the day and concentrate on my recovery. Sadly, it also means I'm unemployed and unable to sew. I can sympathize with The Sewing Lawyer having the time but not able to do the things one wants is, well, "GAAAAAAH!" But hopefully soon I will be working both at a job and finding joy at the sewing machine. 

But I digress... it explains why I fell off the fast wagon, too much free time on my hands and orders to keep moving. Yeah, I know it didn't mean shopping but it was too icy to be outdoors.   

I may have returned those swoon-worthy shoes and a cashmere sweater that was in my possession  oh-so-briefly, but not any fabric. I'm still hopeful that I will be sewing again. There was a fabric label printed cotton that I found at Mitchell Fabrics and some lovely silks at Fabricland. Fabricland had their big Members sale at the end of the month and I stocked up on cotton and serger threads. There is hope in the air.  


The Stats:

Supplies
Quantity Used from the stash this Month 
Quantity Used this Year
Added to the Stash this year
Basting Tape
1.12 metres
0
Bias Tape
1.8 metres
0
Buttons

14
6
Chain

0
0
Cord Stopper

0
0
Elastic
0.8 metres
6 metres
Fabric
22.2 metres
16.9 metres
Fusible Tape
8 metres
0
Hand needles

1
0
Hook and Eyes

0
0
Interfacing
2.1 metres
1 metres
Lace trim
2.6 metres
0
Pattern (new)

3
5
Pattern (previously used--TNT)

5
0
Ribbon

0
0
Serger needles

0
0
Serger thread

3
12
Sewing machine needles

0
0
Snaps

0
0
Thread
2
8
14
Trim
2 metres
2 metres
7 metres
Velcro

0
0
Zipper

1
0

Happy Sewing! 

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your job. I hope you find something else soon after you heal.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...