Wednesday 25 October 2017

Sleepwear: Butterick 5667

Sleepwear has been on my want-to-sew list for quite some time and tonight I finally got around to trying out one of sleepwear patterns in my stash.  


Butterick 5667 is a super easy pattern pattern for a top, gown and elastic waist pants. It's a perfect pattern for a beginner and quite affordable. I was able to press my fabric, cut it out and sew this project this evening. I glance over the pattern instruction sheet and noticed that it calls for set in sleeves and then decided to do my own thing. They're just suggestions right? 

Instead of setting in the sleeve, I flat pinned and sewed the armhole before finishing the side seams.  I didn't use the self-neck binding method from the pattern since I had some blue seam binding left over from this project and just used up the last of the seam binding instead. I was worried that it would be a bit snug around the hip area so I sewed the side seams with a 3/8" allowance. Maybe I should have made a large instead of a medium? Something to keep in mind if I make another one. That and maybe narrow that neckline. Although, I'm not convinced that I want to make another one.    


It's nothing fancy but I'm hoping that it will be cozy. The fabric is the last of the waffle weave cotton that I used to make Mama R's robe. I'm surprised that I was able to squeak out the gown since I was a bit short on the recommended yardage. Maybe it was because I didn't cut out the neck binding? The fabric made it's way into my stash after I found it in the bargain centre. It has a fading line down the centre of it's length where it was folded on the bolt. I was able to avoid the evidence of fading at the centre front and back by creating a new fold. On the back there is evidence of the line of fading on the lower right side. No big deal since it's just to sleep in. The fabric was previously pre-treated with a tumble through the washing machine and dryer. 


The Stats:  

Fabric:  2.4 metres waffle weave cotton

Seam binding:  1 metre

Pattern:  Butterick 5667

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushion, measuring tape, tailor's chalk, scissors, sewing machine, serger, threads, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, and chocolates.  

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...